Your car is an extension of you. With how much time is spent behind the wheel going to and from work and wherever else you need to go in your day to day travels it is important to keep your car neat and clean. Not only will your car look and feel better but also keeping your car clean will help it hold a higher value. This is especially true with BMWs as they are currently hold one of the highest resale values long-term with drivers. In addition to the routine service and maintenance of your BMW, these tips will help you keep the interior and exterior as clean as if a professional handled it.
Before Cleaning Your Car
It’s important to note when using any type of cleaners or waxes for your car’s exterior what is in the solutions you’re using. Each car reacts differently when in contact with various solutions so make sure you know what your BMW’s paint can handle. This way you can ensure your car is kept clean and well maintained without any unwelcome surprises.
Keeping The Exterior Clean
There are a few tricks you can use for keeping the exterior of your BMW looking professionally clean and fortunately it doesn’t require expensive equipment. Follow these steps to give your car that like-new shine.
- Start with a wash– when you wash your car it removes loose things like dust, dirt and mud but that doesn’t get everything. Use a soap designed for car washing and not a detergent or cleaner that can remove wax or strip paint. After rinsing your car you can use towels to dry your car off without scratching the paint at all. This is the first step, as it usually will remove just the larger more noticeable signs of dirt.
- Go a little deeper– once your car has been washed you can find scratches and swirls in the paint while you can also feel things like tree sap that simple washing doesn’t clean. You can use something such as a clay bar to remove everything (including any wax) from the car and make the paint feel as smooth as new once again. You can also use a specially designed compound to remove deeper scratches or etchings in the paint as well.
- Reapply wax– Applying a fresh coat of wax will help prevent paint fading as well as any other objects that can damage it. This is an optional step but an important one considering all of the contaminants that can dirty and damage your paint.
- Wash the windows and wheels– Lastly don’t forget the finishing touches including the glass and the wheels. You may need some elbow grease to properly clean the hard to reach places in the wheels but the extra effort will lead to a better looking finished product.
Clean The Interior Like An Expert
Give the inside of your car the same attention to detail that you do with the outside and your car will look brand new for years. These tips are a great place to start to get that professional look that you have been wanting.
- Start by vacuuming your car to pick up any loose dirt or debris that can get in the way while you’re trying to clean everything else.
- Deep clean the rugs/mats– Most cars have removable mats that allow you to take them out to clean them while also cleaning the actual floor of your car. Using just a simple can of cleaner can help remove stains from both surfaces.
- Focus on the trim– Most interior cleaners are made for everything from vinyl and clothe to leather and can be used to restore those surfaces to like-new. Deep cleaning these surfaces regularly will remove even the old stains and markings that can accrue if neglected for any extended period of time.
- Take care of your seats– Whether you choose to use seat covers or leather/upholstery cleaners it is important that you don’t forget your seats when cleaning. Thoroughly cleaning your seats with each car wash helps to keep them from cracking and can help preserve the leather as well.
- Freshen up the interior smell– Just like going to the professionals you want to finish the job with a clean smelling car. Choose the best smelling freshener and make sure it’s strong enough to cover any type of smell like left over food or smoke so that you aren’t left with a car that looks great but smells like a combination of unpleasant odors.
If your BMW needs additional maintenance or you are having more severe issues such as damaged seats or cracks in the leather interiors call the experts at Auto Europa today. We are the San Francisco area’s leaders in European car maintenance including BMW and with our attention to detail we make sure even the smallest issues are addressed and corrected. That way you can rest assured that your car will continue to look as good as new both inside and outside no matter what the elements throw your way.
BMW Logo image credit goes to: vesilvio.